[Reminder] New MacManX.com Blog URL

Dear friends, eleven days ago, I surprised all of you by abruptly changing my blog’s directory from /wordpress/ to /. Hopefully, with this generic / directory, I’ll never have to do that again. If you have not had a chance to change your subscriptions to https://macmanx.com/feed/ and links to https://macmanx.com/, please do so at your earliest possible convenience, and please let me know if you encounter any errors. Thanks!

P.S. Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to read MacManX.com.

6 responses

  1. that I soon have to do as well. Should have thought about it a year ago when I set up this blog…Did you encounter any difficulties using PHPMyAdmin?

  2. Actually, if you’re just changing your directory, you don’t have to use phpmyadmin. Just change the two URL values in Options/General, rename your blog’s directory, and set your permalinks again in Options/Permalinks. The whole process should take less than a minute. The instructions are detailed under the Moving WordPress Within Your Site Codex article.

  3. Well if it’s that easy I will make the move a directory very soon, thanx for the tip James

  4. You’re welcome! ^_^

  5. I recently moved my blog directory, too, George, and if I can do it, anybody can.

    One unforseen problem I had was when I used absolute links versus relative links. For example, I put some images into my theme’s images directory, rather than into my root’s images directory, and when I moved my WordPress wp-content folder to the root, I broke some of my image links.

    I had to fix them, but that’s no biggie. (At least I hope I fixed them all!)

    And whenever I need to use PHPmyadmin, I run off to WordPress Help Guides at Podz’ site. He explains everything very well.

  6. Yes, the internal links were a major pain for me as well. Fortunately, WordPress’ search engine also searches inside HTML tags. So, a simple search for “macmanx.com/wordpress/” found every single post that linked internally to the old URL or had an image that was being requested from the old URL. Unfortunately, the whole process of changing every single one of those took about two hours, but I’m glad that it’s done.